The office of the Revolutionary Movement is made up of activists from the revolutionary movement who participated in the revolution in Syria in diaspora. The members are from all of the Syrian governorates and united on one particular goal; bringing down the tyrannous criminal regime in all its parts and forms.
Idea for establishment:
When the Syrian revolution began, we felt the necessity to bring together a group of the revolutionaries who participated in the revolution inside Syria to represent the revolution and to convey the true picture of Assad crimes to the world. The Revolutionary Movement was the first group to real representation for revolutionaries at the Rescue Conference, established on July 16th, 2011.
After the Rescue Conference, the representatives of the Revolutionary Movement went on to form the first Syrian National Council which was established on August 23rd, 2011. The number of founding members was 72+2, 52% of whom were Revolutionary Movement members. Shortly thereafter, the Syrian National Council was expanded to represent some of the political groups, and the Revolutionary Movement was present in the formation of the new Syrian National Council (after expansion) which was announced on February 10th, 2011.
All offices were established in the Syrian National Council, and of the most important of these offices was the Revolutionary Movement Office who elected the following members:
Jamal Al Wadi – Director
Ammar Abu Khattab – Secret Holder
Haitham Rahma – Political Representative
Yalmaz Saeed – Financial Officer
Hanan Al Balkhi – Planning and Strategy Officer
Shayesh Suleiman – Human Rights Officer
Ammar Al Masdi – Relief Officer
Osama Al Shurbaji – Logistic Support Officer
Tasks of the Revolutionary Movement Office
The office was established to fulfill the following tasks:
- Offering informational support and to liaise between the revolutionaries and the different revolutionary councils and authorities.
- Developing a strategic vision by consulting with other offices.
- Invigorating and developing the revolutionary movement activities on the ground.
- Help connect international media with activists to secure eye witness interviews and other activists involved in the revolutionary movement.
- Securing political support and providing and political vision based on what is happening on the ground.
Components of the Revolutionary Movement in the Syrian National Council
- Supreme Council for the Leadership of the Syrian Revolution: established on April 9th, 2011.
- The Independent Revolutionary Movement – established at the same time as the Syrian National Council but did not officially meet until an official announcement was made about the establishment on March 28th, 2012.
- The Syrian Revolution General Commission – formed from the Union of Coordinating Committees (which was prevented from sending representatives to the Syrian National Council but instead was represented by individuals and not the organization.)
- Local Coordination Committees – who pulled out from the Syrian National Council later.
Activities of the Revolutionary Movement Office:
- The Revolutionary Movement Office strove to coordinate with various revolutionary groups to unite the voice of the Revolutionary Movement and to develop ways to organize efforts, eventually a committee for coordinated work was established and called:
Committee for Coordinated Work for the Revolutionary Movement Forces – official announcement was made about this committee on June 19th, 2012.
This committee is made up of the following parts:
- From the Syrian Revolution General Commission, Saleh Al Hamwi – Hadi Al Abdullah)
- From the Supreme Council for the Leadership of the Syrian Revolution – Muti Al Batin – Wasel Al Shimali
- From the Independent Revolutionary Movement – Jamal Al Wadi
- The establishment of an office dedicated to reaching people on the inside in all of the Governorates
- Continuous on the ground visits to Syria for coordination and support
- Connecting activists on the ground with experts, funders, and supporters
- Contacting countries across the globe to garner support for the Syrian revolution
- Participating in all conferences related to the Syrian revolution to garner support for the Syrian revolution
- Attend conferences of the Muslim people’s scholars that are related to support for the Syrian Revolution
- Make an official Revolutionary Movement visit to the Arab League of Nations
- Individual visits and group visits to organizations, Arab and Islamic parties, and nations to garner support for the Syrian revolution
- Reaching out to military and strategy experts
- Large media presence to portray the reality of what is happening on the ground
- Constantly monitoring movements of political groups that represent the Syrian revolution
- Representing the Revolutionary Movement in the National Coalition and other international, legal, and humanitarian forums
- Consistent communication with the Free Syrian Army