Saturday, 12 August 2017 17:57

Del Ponte Blames Russia for Blocking Solution in Syria

Carla del Ponte, former member of the UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria, blamed Russia for blocking solution in Syria by using its repeated use of its veto power in the UN Security Council.

In an interview with CNN’s Hala Gorani on Thursday, del Ponte held the UN Security Council partly responsible for the continued tragedy in Syria as it has not yet put pressure on Moscow.

Del Ponte regretted that commissions and organizations are unable to carry out their duties in Syria. "When we read UN Security Council draft resolutions, they all look great," she said. "But in fact, the situation is different and nothing happens."

Russia, the Assad regime’s staunchest ally, has already vetoed six draft resolutions at the UN Security Council aimed at ensuring accountability for war crimes in Syria. Most recently, Russian vetoed a draft resolution at the UN Security Council that demanded that the Assad regime provide the Council with information on its military activity in the wake of the April 4 sarin attack on the town of Khan Sheikhoun.

On August 6, the 70-year-old Swiss national announced she was quitting her post at the UN Commission of Inquiry on Syria due to lack of political backing from the UN Security Council to the panel’s investigation into human rights violations and war crimes being committed in Syria.

In 2015, Del Ponte said justice would catch up with Bashar al-Assad even if he remained in power under a negotiated peace settlement.

Earlier this year, when the commission reported on the Assad’s air force deliberately bombing and strafing a humanitarian convoy, del Ponte hinted at her frustration with the inability to bring the perpetrators to justice.

"I am quitting this commission, which is not backed by any political will," del Ponte said, adding that her role was just an "alibi."

"I have no power as long as the Security Council does nothing," she said. "We are powerless, there is no justice for Syria," Swiss national news agency SDA quoted Del Ponte as saying.

Del Ponte, a former Swiss attorney general, joined the three-member Syria inquiry in September 2012, chronicling incidents such as chemical weapons attacks, siege tactics, and the bombing of aid convoys. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department + Agencies)

Home Media Center Political News Del Ponte Blames Russia for Blocking Solution in Syria