Assad Regime Bombs Idlib Despite Int’l Warnings; Civilian Casualties Reported
At least five civilians were killed and 35 others were injured Tuesday after Assad regime bombed the towns and villages of rural Idlib despite international warnings. Idlib province is home to some three million people, the majority of whom were forcibly displaced from other parts of Syria.
Idlib province has recently witnessed serious military escalation and continued violations of the ‘de-escalation zones" agreement by the Assad regime and the Iranian terrorist militias. The escalation risks creating large waves of displacement similar to those that took place in Dara’a, the Damascus suburbs, rural Hama, and rural Homs.
Local activists said that all those who were killed on Tuesday were civilians, including two women and a child. The aerial bombardment also injured a Civil Defense volunteer in the village of Meshmashan.
Monitoring groups pointed out that intense airstrikes targeted the major towns in rural Idlib. The Syrian Coalition said that the systematic bombardment of civilian targets is aimed at imposing deals on the civilian population under the force of arms, a policy amounting to a war crime.
The United Nations had earlier warned of the great danger surrounding the fate of about three million civilians living in Idlib and its countryside should military operations continued and targeted civilian areas. It warned that the situation would be "six times worse" than it was in the Damascus suburb of eastern Ghouta. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)