Monday, 05 March 2018 17:17

Medical Workers Hold Protest in Eastern Ghouta as Bombing Campaign Continues

Medical workers in eastern Ghouta held a sit-in in one of the hospitals in the besieged Damascus suburb to protest against the continued bombing campaign by the Assad regime and Russia forces. The relentless bombardment killed hundreds of civilians, according to international reports.

The United Nations, meanwhile, failed to deliver much-needed relief assistance to the besieged Damascus suburb. The aid convoy was planned to enter eastern Ghouta on Sunday.

Participants in the sit-in called on the UN Security Council and Russia to immediately stop the escalating military campaign on eastern Ghouta and begin the implementation of resolution 2401.

The Syrian civil defense corps said that the bombings have intensified even further in recent days. Rescue workers said that at least dozens of airstrikes and about 70 rockets pounded residential neighborhoods in the town of Harasta in less than one hour on Sunday.

Medical charity Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) said that 770 people had been killed and more than 4,000 wounded in eastern Ghouta just between February 18 and February 27.

MSF said that these figures are likely to rise as they did not include the number of casualties reported in the facilities that the medical charity do not support.

The ongoing onslaught on eastern Ghouta, in which various types of weapons, including internationally prohibited ones, are being used, caused thousands of families to seek shelter inside cellars with the hope they will protect them from death. However, civil defense teams have dug dozens of bodies out of the rubble of bombed buildings in recent weeks. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)

Home Media Center Local News Medical Workers Hold Protest in Eastern Ghouta as Bombing Campaign Continues