Monitoring Group: 8 Medical & Civil Defense Personnel Killed across Syria in May 2017
A total of eight medical and rescue workers were killed in attacks on their centers across Syria in May 2017, a monitoring group said. The group said it has recorded at least six attacks on vital civilian facilities across Syria in the same month.
The Syrian Network for Human Rights (SNHR) on Sunday published its monthly report detailing violations against medical and civil defense personnel and their centers across Syria.
According to the report, five medical and rescue workers were killed in attacks the monitoring group said were untraceable, while two more were killed by the ISIS extremist group, and one by an armed opposition group.
The Network said it has documented two attacks by regime forces, one by each of the Russian forces, the international anti-ISIS coalition forces, and the militias of the Democratic Union Party (PYD), and one the perpetrators of which the SNHR said it could not identify.
In a report published earlier this year, the SNHR said that at least 167 members of the civil defense and medical staff were killed in 2016, adding that it has recorded no fewer than 448 attacks on facilities used by these groups.
The Network called on the UN Security Council to shoulder its legal and moral responsibilities to put an end to the tragedy unfolding in Syria and to take urgent action to stop attacks on vital civilian facilities, most importantly on health facilities.
The rights group stressed that the UN Security Council must stop standing idly by as the “daily bloodbath” continues in Syria. It called upon international aid organizations to send volunteers to work in the relatively safe areas. It pointed to the urgent need for trained medical staff considering the high number of deaths resulting from lack of trained medical personnel. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department + Agencies)