The Syrian Network for Human Rights (SNHR) said that over 171,000 civilians have been killed since 2011 at the hands of regime forces and their allied foreign militias in 12 areas they besiege across Syria. The rights group pointed out that the victims were killed by bombardment, starvation resulting from the blockades imposed by regime forces, or due to lack of medical treatment.
In a report released on Friday, SNHR said that it has documented the death of 786 people as a result of sieges by regime forces and its allied militias. According to the report, 414 people, including 138 children and 57 women, have so far died of starvation, while 372 people, including 129 children and 62 women, died due to lack of medicine and medical treatment.
The report pointed out that there are over two million people trapped inside 14 besieged areas across Syria. Regime forces besiege 12 areas: Madaya; Altal; Qudsayya; eastern Ghouta; Almoadamiya and Daraya in Rural Damascus; Alqaboun, Jobar, Barza and Alyarmouk refugee camp in Damascus; and Alwaer and the entire northern rural Homs.
The network said that the extremist group ISIS besieges the regime-held neighborhoods of Aljoura and Alqusour in the city of Deir Ezzor. Four civilians died of starvation in these two neighborhoods, while two more died due to lack of medicine and medical treatment. (Source: Syrian Coalition)