The Assad regime and Russia have further intensified the bombing campaign in the ‘de-escalation zone’ in northwestern Syria, causing hundreds of casualties among civilians.
The Syrian Network for Human Rights (SNHR) said that the bombardment has so far killed and injured 1,974 civilians, adding that the bombardment is mainly targeting residential areas and vital civilian centers.
In a report released on Friday, the monitoring group said that at least 487 civilians, including 118 children and 92 women, have been killed and 1,487 others wounded since the start of the bombing campaign on April 26.
The bombings have further intensified in the past few days. On Thursday, 20 civilians were killed and 44 others, including women and children, were injured in violent airstrikes in rural Idlib.
The Syrian Coalition said that “the deliberate, systematic targeting of civilians is a war crime that requires condemnation and intervention by the international community. Action is needed to deter the party waging war against the Syrian people with the help of sectarian foreign militias.”
The Coalition stressed that “there will be no military solution in any part of Syria, nor will the status quo ante be restored. The Assad’s regime plans to reimpose itself on the Syrian people with iron and fire and with the help of foreign occupation and sectarian militias will drastically fail. The Syrian people will not once again liver under slavery and tyranny in any way or in any part of the country.” (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)