Wednesday, 15 May 2019 18:48

Hariri Discusses Regime & Allies’ Onslaught on Idlib with Turkish FM

Head of the Syrian Negotiations Commission, Nasr al-Hariri, met with the Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu in Ankara on Tuesday and discussed with him the serious military escalation by the Assad regime and its allies in Idlib province.

Hariri said that he and Çavuşoğlu discussed the Assad regime’s violations of the ceasefire agreement and the efforts being exerted to stop the escalation. He stressed the need to protect civilians, consolidate the ceasefire that was established last year, and deliver humanitarian aid to those in need.

Hariri pointed out that he felt real concern by Turkey over the situation in Idlib province, noting that the Assad regime and Russia are using terrorism as a pretext to target civilians and destroy infrastructure, hospitals and schools.

“The Syrian opposition supports fighting terrorism in its all forms, including the terror of the Iranian militias," Hariri said, adding that this threat should not be used as a pretext to subjugate the liberated areas with the force of arms. He stressed that the ongoing onslaught violated the UN resolutions on Syria and the Idlib agreement.

Moreover, Hariri said that the talks touched on coming closer to an agreement on the formation of the Constitutional Committee, adding that that issue enjoys “common interest” as a gateway to a comprehensive, just political solution in accordance with UN resolution 2254.

In comments he published on Twitter, the Turkish Foreign Minister said that the Assad regime’s attacks on Idlib constituted a blatant violation of the Sochi Memorandum, adding that they were close to an agreement on the formation of the Constitutional Committee. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)

Home Media Center Coalition News Hariri Discusses Regime & Allies’ Onslaught on Idlib with Turkish FM