UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric said that that “history will record failure to stop the fighting and will lay the blame on those responsible.”
Dujarric on Monday told a daily press conference that Ali Al‑Za’tari, the Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Syria, called on all the parties involved “to take all necessary measures to protect civilians and civilian infrastructure, and to allow for safe, sustained and unimpeded humanitarian access to all in need.”
“He said that we are witnessing some of the worst fighting of the entire conflict, with reports of hundreds of civilian deaths and injuries, massive displacement and the destruction of civilian infrastructure, including medical facilities,” Dujarric added.
Grandi described the recent escalation of conflict inside Syria as extremely concerning. “We are witnessing an extended failure of political action, an extended failure by states to help Syrians find a solution to this war,” he said.
Speaking at a press conference at Zaatari refugee camp in Jordan on Monday, UN refugee chief Filippo Grandi described the recent escalation of conflict inside Syria as extremely concerning. “We are witnessing an extended failure of political action, an extended failure by states to help Syrians find a solution to this war,” he said.
Member of the Syrian Coalition’s political committee, Salah al-Din al-Hamawi, said the Syrian people have been disappointed by the failure of the UN Security Council to agree on a temporary truce in Syria that is needed to put an end to the killings and crimes being committed by Russia, Iran, and the Assad regime. He noted that that these crimes have sharply increased following the failure of the Sochi Conference.
Assad regime and Russian airstrikes in rebel-held areas have killed 230 civilians in the past week in some of the conflict’s worst violence that may also constitute war crimes, said Zeid Ra‘ad al-Hussein, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights.
The ongoing bombing campaign by the Russian and Assad regime forces has killed over 500 civilians and wounded thousand more as the last week in eastern Ghouta has been described as the deadliest since 2015. According to unofficial figures, over 250 civilian were killed in eastern Ghouta alone in less than a week. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)