Joint Press Statement Original in arabic
June 16, 2016
The National Coalition of Syrian Revolution and Opposition Forces and the National Coordination Body for Democratic Change held their fourth series of meetings on 13-15 June 2016, in Brussels, in the context of efforts to unify the opposition’s position and vision concerning the developments in Syria and the prospects for a political solution.
Participants confirmed their condemnation of the horrific massacres committed in Syria at the hands of Assad and his allies, the forced displacement schemes, the siege of cities and villages and the blockading of their food and medical supplies, and the sustained detentions and enforced disappearances, all of which has prevented the creation of an environment conducive to the launch of constructive negotiations.
Participants in the meeting believe that all components of the Syrian people have fallen victim to the regime’s criminality and the international community’s failure to provide protection, leaving them vulnerable to chaos, devastation and terrorism in all its forms. Participants further stressed their rejection of any foreign occupation or intervention.
In light of the above, the two parties’ vision is summarised as follows:
- Reaffirmation of the two parties’ commitment to a national political solution in accordance with the Geneva Communique (June 30, 2012) and relevant United Nations and Security Council resolutions, and on the basis of national consensus and understandings between all components of Syrian society, including Arabs, Kurds, Turkmen, Assyrian Syriacs, and others, so as to ensure the participation of all in building a democratic civil state and developing a national contract that frames the Syrian people’s common national identity.
- Affirmation that the salvation of the Syrian people regardless of political affiliation, including regime supporters, shall be achieved by removing the tyrannical and murderous regime and combatting the forces of terror and extremism. The two parties believe that the fight against terrorism requires an end of tyranny and the mobilisation of patriotic social forces under the leadership of the Transitional Governing Body in line with a regional and international strategy.
- The two parties shall hold regular meetings and workshops, with the participation of representatives of political forces, societal groups, activists and experts; shall support the efforts of the High Negotiation Committee; shall promote contact and coordination between Syrian patriotic components and forces; and shall organise joint visits to countries concerned with the Syrian issue.
- Development of the Syrian opposition’s vision concerning the Kurdish issue, and establishing a just resolution within the framework of the unity of Syria’s territory and people, with a view of achieving constitutional recognition of the Kurdish national identity and the participation of Kurdish political and revolutionary forces in building a democratic Syria.
- Calling upon the European Union to advance its role in supporting and ensuring the success of a political solution, in addition to its active participation in supporting the negotiation process, implementing international resolutions, ending the regime’s violence, countering all forms of terrorism, and strengthening its support for Syrian refugees and resolve their problems.
The two parties express their gratitude to the European Union and the European External Action Service for their support of this meeting and for facilitating its success.