Ministry of Health Geared up to Receive Aleppo Evacuees
Minister of Health in the Syrian interim government Mohammad Jundi said that the ministry is fully prepared to receive the people who were displaced from the besieged city of Aleppo and to meet their needs.
The ministry has set up an emergency committee to meet the needs of the people who were displaced from eastern Aleppo following the brutal onslaught by the Assad regime and its allies on the city, Jundi added.
Jundi said that the interim government is following up on the issue of the displaced with the local councils in the Syrian provinces and with the organizations concerned with the displaced people. He pointed out that the ministry is coordinating the distribution of aid to the evacuees with local and international organizations to ensure that all their needs are met.
Residents of eastern Aleppo were evacuated to Idlib province after a brutal three-month siege and ferocious bombing campaign by the Assad regime and its allies using internationally banned weapons.
President of the Syrian Coalition Anas Abdah on Saturday sent a letter to 25 countries and organizations as well as to the UN Secretary General Ban-Ki moon urging them to take immediate, concrete action to ensure the safety of civilians trapped in Aleppo.
Abdah reiterated that the evacuation of civilians from the besieged neighborhoods of Aleppo is an operation of enforced mass displacement, which constitutes a war crime under the international humanitarian law.
“The evacuation deal was accepted to guarantee the safety of civilians. However, the Assad regime and its allies continue to use their barbaric strategy of scorched land to take over the liberated areas by turning the besieged neighborhoods of Aleppo into an open mass grave,” Abdah said.
Head of the Syrian interim government Jawad Abu Hatab on Friday met with the wounded and sick who were evacuated from Aleppo to Idlib province to follow up on the medical care and treatment being provided to them.
Abu Hatab said that hospitals in Idlib province have so far received around 170 evacuees, adding that the number is expected to rise to between 800 and 1,000. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Office)