Coalition News
17 August 2019 In Local News

Several demonstrations took place in the provinces of Aleppo, Idlib and Raqqa on Friday to reaffirm support for the Free Syrian Army’s efforts to fend off the Assad regime and Russia’s ongoing onslaught on the ‘de-escalation zone’ in northwestern Syria.

The demonstrators also reaffirmed the civilians’ right to life as they called for an end to attacks on civilian and medical facilities. They also reiterated the demands for the overthrow of the Assad regime as well as for freedom and dignity.

Local activists published photos from the town of Sarmada in northern rural Idlib showing dozens of people demonstrating to reaffirm the revolution will continue until its goals are achieved.

Dozens of people also marched in the streets of the towns of Afrin and Qabbasin in rural Aleppo. They called for the overthrow of the regime as they waved the flag of the Syrian revolution and held signs that read “there is no alternative to the overthrow of Assad.”

In Raqqa province, about 150 people gathered in the main public market in the town of Tabqa after Friday prayers, chanting slogans in support of the Syrian revolution. They also chanted against the Assad regime and the PYD militia as they demonstrated their solidarity with the people in Idlib province who have been subjected to relentless bombardment by the Assad regime and Russian forces. They also expressed support for the Free Syrian Army in its battle to fend off the forces of the Assad regime and its allies.

The demonstrations coincided with the fierce onslaught being launched by the Assad regime and Russia forces on Idlib province and the adjacent parts of Hama and Latakia provinces since late April. The bombing campaign has so far killed and injured thousands of civilians as well as forced hundreds of thousands out of their homes and caused massive destruction to the infrastructure, especially medical centers and schools. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)

17 August 2019 In Political News

The French Foreign Ministry on Friday condemned the latest air attacks against IDP camps in northwestern Syria which killed and wounded dozens of civilians, including children and women. It called for an immediate halt to the Assad regime and its allies’ military operations in the region.

“France calls for an immediate halt to hostilities in Idlib province and recalls the particular responsibility incumbent on the Syrian regime's allies in implementing a lasting cease-fire,” Deputy Foreign Ministry spokesman Olivier Gauvin said in a statement.

“The continuing of hostilities compromises the search for a political, credible and negotiated settlement (in Syria) in line with United Nations Security Council resolution 2254,” Gauvin cautioned.

Mark Cutts, Deputy Regional Humanitarian Coordinator for the Syria Crisis, condemned attacks by the Assad regime and Russia on the Idlib and Hama provinces. He called for respecting and protecting medical and humanitarian personnel, their means of transport and equipment and property, as well as hospitals and other medical facilities, in accordance with international humanitarian law and in line with UN Security Council Resolution 2286.

“The civilian death toll is rising every day as the fighting continues in Idleb and northern Hama”, said Cutts, adding that most of the deaths were a result of the “relentless campaign of airstrikes” by the Assad regime and its allies.

The Syrian National Coalition earlier called for urgent, serious international action to ensure an end to the military operations by Assad regime forces and Russia in ‘de-escalation zone’ in northwestern Syria. It also called on humanitarian organizations to shoulder their duties in the provision of relief aid for the displaced people and those in need. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)

17 August 2019 In Coalition News

In yet new bloody attack on unarmed civilians, the Russian jets on Friday bombed a building sheltering IDPs in the town of Hass in southern rural Idlib, killing 14 civilians, including four children, two women as well as injuring more than 30 others.

The Syrian Civil Defense said that the attack caused a “horrific massacre.” It also said that similar attacks killed two other children in the towns of Ariha and Al-Ghadfa, bringing to 16 the number of deaths and to 52 the number of injuries.

The rescue group pointed out that the Assad regime and Russian air forces bombed 22 targets in rural Idlib on Friday. It also said that it had counted at least 93 airstrikes that hit the region, 38 of which were launched by the Russian air force. The region was also hit with 37 barrel bombs and 577 artillery and rocket shells, 300 of which hit the village of Rakaya while 140 others targeted the town of Kafarsijnah.

The Syrian National Coalition earlier said that the atrocities being caused by the Assad regime and Russia's ongoing brutal bombing campaign in Idlib and rural Hama countryside require concrete, firm international action to force the aggressor parties to immediately withdraw their forces from the areas they have captured recently.

The Syrian Network for Human Rights said that the Assad regime and its allies are committing widespreaed crimes in the ‘de-escalation zone’ in northwestern Syria. In its latest report, the monitoring group sad that it registered the deaths of at least 433 civilians in July, including 119 children, 64 women, five medical workers, two media activists, and three civil defense volunteers. The Network pointed to marked increase in the number of casualties in Syria following the start of the regime’s military campaign in late April. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)

Home Media Center Coalition News Items filtered by date: Saturday, 17 August 2019