The Syrian National Coalition’s Supreme Hajj Committee said that the last batch of the intending Syrian pilgrims arrived in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to perform Hajj for the 2019 hajj season.
The announcement was made during an official meeting held by the Committee in the city of Mecca on Monday. The meeting brought together all members of the offices of the Syrian mission.
The meeting was chaired by Mohammed Abu al-Khair Shukri, Deputy-head of the Committee who explained that a total of 22,500 intending Syrian pilgrims had arrived in Saudi Arabia, pointing out that they came from all Syrian regions.
He stressed the importance of serving the pilgrims throughout their journey, starting from the day of Tarawiya and standing on Arafah until the days of Tashreeq. He urged all members of the Syrian mission to abide by the instructions given to the Syrian Mission by the Saudi Ministry of Hajj and Umrah as such adherence will serve the public interest and the noble goal of serving the Syrian pilgrims.”
For his part, Director pf the Syrian Hajj Samer Birqdar pointed to the need to make the work this year a success “despite the hardships the Syrian people are going through across Syria. He added the Syrian pilgrims took an onerous journey to Mecca in order to perform Hajj.
Birqdar stressed that the Committee’s staff and teams, including the directors, administrators and heads of groups are working for all Syrians from all Syrian regions without any discrimination.
Birqdar called on the executive staff of the Committee in Mecca to be fully committed to serving the pilgrims on the Day of Arafah, the holy rites, and in Mina camps. He also urged for follow up on the provision of services according to the plan of the Committee.
He affirmed confidence in the Committee’s staff, noting that this year's Hajj season will be a success thanks to continuous efforts and constant development in the provision of services and the organization of the work.
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia granted the right to manage Hajj to the Syrian National Coalition’s Supreme Hajj Committee for the seventh consecutive year. The Committee won the respect and appreciation of other missions as it was classified as one of the best missions in the Islamic world thanks to its good organization and the discipline shown by the Syrian pilgrims. (Source: Syrian National Coalition’s Media Department)
The Syrian National Coalition welcomed the recent move by the United Nations to launch a probe into the Assad regime and Russia’s attacks on hospitals and other vital civilian centers in Idlib and rural Hama. It stressed that the move will put pressure on Russia to stop the onslaught on the region.
In a press release issued on Saturday, the Coalition said that “the move, albeit modest, is of great importance as it underlines the UN role in holding perpetrators accountable and in the restoration of international peace and security.”
The Coalition stressed that proving the responsibility of the Assad regime and Russia for the targeting of healthcare facilities and other vital civilian centers will put Russia under international pressure. Such probe will expose the real nature of the military operations targeting the Syrian people and the UN-sponsored political process.”
“The move will also refute the Assad regime and Russia’s claims about fighting terrorism,” the Coalition said, adding that Russia is launching targeted strikes against medical centers and using the coordinates provided by the United Nations, which constitutes a double crime that requires investigation as well.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Thursday agreed to a request by two-thirds of the UN Security Council member States for an international inquiry into attacks on civilian facilities in northwestern Syria.
Britain, France, the United States, Germany, Belgium, Peru, Poland, Kuwait, the Dominican Republic and Indonesia delivered a formal diplomatic petition to Guterres earlier this week asking him to launch the probe.
Vice-president of the Coalition Dima Moussa said that the Assad regime and Russia are committing “blatant war crimes” as she stressed the need for accountability for the war crimes taking place in Syria. She said that the Assad regime and Russia’s insistence on their "criminal approach" stalled the political process and left the cease-fire agreement in tatters. (Source: Syrian National Coalition’s Media Department)
The Syrian Network for Human Rights on Friday said that it recorded no fewer than 589 arbitrary arrests across Syria in July, including 387 cases of enforced disappearance.
In its latest report on the arrests in Syria in July, the rights group said that the detainees included 38 children and 24 women. The figure has brought to 3,049 the number of arbitrary arrests since the beginning of 2019.
According to the report, the Assad regime detained 296 people in July, including 16 children and eight women. It noted that Hay’at Tahrir al-Sham detained 11 people, including one child. The PYD militia was responsible for at least 227 arrests, including 18 against children and 14 against women. Nearly 55 people, including three children and two women, were detained by groups that the rights group was not able to identify.
The report indicated out that the majority of the arrests took place in the province of Aleppo. It said that the arrests took place at around 127 checkpoints across Syria and in raids on civilian homes. The majority of these raids were carried out by the Assad regime and the PYD militia.
The Network stressed the need for the release of children and women as it called for stopping the use of families and friends as hostages. The official in charge of the issue of detainees in the Office of the UN Envoy to Syria called for including the issue in the next Geneva meetings. He said that the issue worry Syrians more than any other issue that can be discussed in a participatory manner between the parties after political agreements have been reached, such as the drafting of a new Constitution.
The rights group called on the UN Security Council to follow up on the implementation of its resolutions on Syria. It also called on the UN Human Rights Council to focus on the issue of detainees and missing persons in Syria and to highlight the issue at its regular annual meetings. It also called for working with the active human rights organizations in Syria. (Source: Syrian National Coalition’s Media Department)