An aid group said that the Assad regime and Russia’s ongoing onslaught on Idlib province forced well over 328,000 people from their homes in the past two months.
In a press release issued on Friday, the Emergency Response Coordinators Team said that more than 55,664 households or 328,418 people were displaced from their homes in southern and eastern rural Idlib in the period between November 1 to January 3.
The Team indicated that the displaced people sought refuge in more than 34 towns and villages in northern rural Idlib and Aleppo, adding that it is still counting and documenting the number of the displaced in order to identify their needs.
The Team called on local and international humanitarian and organizations, the United Nations, and the UN Security Council to take concrete steps to provide the necessary protection for civilians and to work seriously and urgently to put an end to attacks by the Assad regime and Russian forces on the province.
In a separate report issued last week, the Team said that more than one million people were displaced as a result of bombardment and shelling by the Assad regime and Russian forces in Idlib province in northwestern Syria in 2019.
Towns and villages in Idlib province have been subjected to ruthless assault by the Assad regime forces and allied militias with Russian aerial support since November 25, 2019. The bombing campaign has forced tens of thousands of people from their homes as well as killed and injured hundreds more. (Source: Syrian National Coalition’s Media Department)