The Emergency Response Coordinates Team condemned the ongoing bombing campaign by the Assad regime and Russian forces targeting large areas in northern Syria. The bombings have forced well over 130,000 people out of their homes in recent weeks.
In a statement on Sunday, the Team pointed out that the intensifying bombing campaign on Syria’s north has considerably worsened the suffering of civilians in addition to causing rising casualties among the civilian population.
The Team said that at least 20,875 households comprising around 131,934 people have already fled the demilitarized zone and neighboring areas.
Civilian casualties have increased since the start of the bombing campaign on February 2, the Team said, adding that the bombings have killed more than 186 people, including 71 children as of March 23.
The Team noted that the high percentage of children and women who were killed indicated that these military operations were mainly targeting innocent people.
The statement called on international relief organizations to urgently respond to the needs of the displaced people, calling on international bodies concerned with the Syrian issue to intervene immediately to stop the bombing of civilians in Idlib and the surrounding areas.
The Syrian Coalition earlier condemned daily bombings being carried out by the Assad regime and allies in rural Hama and Idlib, calling on the international community to preserve the Idlib agreement and the ceasefire in place.
Several villages and towns in the provinces of Idlib and Hama have been subjected to relentless bombings by the Russian and Assad regime air forces as well as artillery and rocket shelling in recent weeks. The bombings have so far killed and injured hundreds of civilians although the area is covered by the Idlib Agreement. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)