A local relief group said that the death toll from the Russian airstrikes that hit the town of Kfariya in rural Idlib last week rose to 21, including eight children.
In a statement on Tuesday, the Emergency Response Coordinators Team in Syria’s North said that at least 35 people were also wounded, including four who are in critical condition.
According to the statement, the airstrikes obliterated an entire residential block with a 400-meter diameter as well as hit a mosque in the town. Many residents of the town, the majority of whom are IDPs, fled the town for fear of renewed airstrikes.
The Russian air force has carried out three deadly attacks in the province of Idlib recently, the most deadly of which was the attack on the central prison west of Idlib killing more than 40 prisoners and wounding dozens more. Another wave of airstrikes also targeted central Idlib, causing dozens of civilian casualties.
In a separate statement on Sunday, the Team pointed out that the intensifying bombing campaign on Syria’s north has considerably worsened the suffering of civilians in addition to causing rising casualties among the civilian population.
The Team said that at least 20,875 households comprising around 131,934 people have already fled the demilitarized zone and neighboring areas.
The Syrian Coalition earlier condemned daily bombings being carried out by the Assad regime and allies in rural Hama and Idlib, calling on the international community to preserve the Idlib agreement and the ceasefire in place.
Several villages and towns in the provinces of Idlib and Hama have been subjected to relentless bombings by the Russian and Assad regime air forces as well as artillery and rocket shelling in recent weeks. The bombings have so far killed and injured hundreds of civilians although the area is covered by the Idlib Agreement. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)