The local council in Deir Ezzor province announced it was suspending its work in protest against the failure of humanitarian organizations to take action to relieve the suffering of displaced people of the province.
In a statement issued to the people of Deir Ezzor province on Monday, the council said that it would suspend its work for the upcoming 20 days unless the needs of the displaced people from the province are addressed. It urged humanitarian organizations to assume their role and carry out projects to assist those in need and support the displaced people without discrimination.
The council, which is one of the Syrian Interim Government bodies, said it contacted many international organizations and bodies supporting the Syrian people, but none of them fulfilled their promises. It noted that the support being provided by some local and international organizations is part of projects these organizations previously began to implement in the province.
At least 350,000 people have been displaced in the province, the statement added. It said that 240,000 people are currently living in areas under the control of the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), while 110,000 are living in areas under the control of the ‘Shield of the Euphrates’ FSA groups in northern rural Aleppo.
In early October, the council called on the United Nations, the General Secretariat of the Human Rights Council, and the leadership of the international anti-ISIS coalition to spare civilians from conflicts in the area.
More than 380,000 people have fled their villages and towns in Deir Ezzor because of intensive aerial bombardment and ongoing battles between Assad forces and ISIS and between SDF militias and ISIS. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)