Head of the Syrian interim government Jawad Abu Hatab on Friday met with the wounded and sick who were evacuated from Aleppo to Idlib province to follow up on the medical care and treatment being provided to them.
The evacuation of the remaining residents of eastern Aleppo on Friday was suspended as the Assad regime and Iran were trying to impose new conditions to the evacuation deal.
Abu Hatab said that hospitals in Idlib province have received around 170 evacuees, adding that the number is expected to rise between 800 and 1,000.
Many of the evacuees were seriously injured in the bombing campaign by the Assad regime and Russian forces including with internationally banned weapons, Abu Hatab said. He noted that many of the injuries got worse due to the lack of medical care and severe cold in besieged Aleppo.
The interim Ministry of Health earlier announced that all hospitals in besieged eastern Aleppo have been put out of service in the wake of the brutal onslaught the Assad regime and its allies launched on the city by on November 15.
Abu Hatab pointed out that 7,500 people have so far been evacuated from eastern Aleppo in five batches, noting that the interim government’s teams are working around the clock to meet the needs of the evacuees. The interim government has set up an emergency committee headed by Minister of Health Firas Jundi to supervise the provision of services and help to the evacuees.
Abu Hatab praised residents in Idlib for hosting the evacuees in their homes, stressing that they set a perfect example of solidarity among Syrians in time of hardship.
Evacuation of residents from eastern Aleppo was suspended early on Friday after regime forces and their allied Iranian-backed militias have stopped 20 buses carrying evacuees before sending them back to the besieged city. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Office)