Humanitarian and relief aid groups as well as civil organizations launched a humanitarian campaign under the title ‘Idlib Biggest Campaign’ to relieve more than 300,000 internally displaced people in the province.
Syrian Civil Defense Director Raed Al-Saleh on Monday told Smart News Network that the aim of the campaign is to provide services and humanitarian assistance to the people who have recently fled their homes as a result of the intensified fighting in southern and eastern rural Idlib. He said that over 300,000 people have been displaced from their homes in Idlib province in recent weeks.
“The campaign will seek to boost coordination among relief aid organizations to ensure that relief aid is properly and equally distributed to the IDP’s camps in the province,” Saleh added.
Last week, the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) said that nearly 100,000 people were displaced Idlib province in the period between December 1 and January 9 as a result of the offensive the Assad regime is waging in the province.
“Heavy bombardment on many communities in southern and southeastern rural Idlib continued unabated, causing casualties and displacement among civilians and destruction of vital infrastructure,” UNOCHA said in a statement.
During its latest meeting on Sunday, the Syrian Coalition’s General Assembly stressed the need for the international community to urgently intervene to stop the brutal attacks on Syrian civilians, especially in Idlib, Hama and eastern Ghouta. Members of the Assembly agreed to communicate with the concerned countries to ensure the full implementation of the ceasefire agreement as the starting point for reaching any political solution. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)