Activists said that three civilians were killed and 17 others wounded in bombings by the Assad regime and Russian forces across northwestern Syria on Tuesday. At least 46 airstrikes and 38 artillery shells targeted more than 16 towns and villages in rural Idlib.
According to a rights group, the Assad regime and Russian air forces have committed more than 30 massacres since the start of the brutal bombing campaign in the ‘de-escalation zone’ in northwestern Syria.
In a report on Tuesday, the Syrian Network for Human Rights said that it recorded more than 32 massacres claiming the lives of 747 civilians in less than three months.
The rights group added that the victims included 192 children and 131 women as well as wounded more than 2,783 civilians.
The monitoring group went on to say that it recorded 316 attacks on vital civilian centers in the region between April 26 and July 23
The UN said it had documented over 400 civilian deaths in northwestern Syria in total since the end of April, adding that the Monday airstrikes have been the deadliest since the regime onslaught begun three months ago.
“The nightmare in Idleb is getting worse,” Mark Cutts, the UN’s deputy humanitarian coordinator for Syria. “Many of the victims were women and children, some of them suffering the most horrific injuries.”
The UN called for attacks on civilians and civilian infrastructure to come to an end and for areas to be made accessible for humanitarian assistance.
The Assad regime and Russian forces have unleashed a ferocious bombing campaign on the ‘de-escalation zone’ in northwestern since April 26, relentlessly bombing towns and villages in Idlib province and the adjacent parts of Hama, Aleppo, and Lattakia. The bombings have so far killed hundreds of civilians, destroyed the infrastructure, and forced more than half a million people out of their homes. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)