The Syrian Network for Human Rights (SNHR) expressed concern for the fate of at least 750 civilians who are currently trapped in the city of Deir Ezzor in an area of no more than two square kilometers that is still under the control of ISIS.
The Network warned of widespread violations and indiscriminate revenge acts against civilians trapped in Deir Ezzor by regime forces who are closing on the area.
The rights group demanded international action to save civilians trapped inside Deir Ezzor one day after the United Nations expressed its deep concern about the consequences of the fighting on civilians in the city.
The Network also called on the international community to act urgently in response to distress calls sent by activists, calling on Russia as a guarantor and ally of the Assad regime to deter its forces from killing civilians.
The watchdog group called on militias of the so-called Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) to stop targeting civilians in Deir Ezzor and allow them to reach the SDF-held village of Husseiniya.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) was deeply concerned by the impact of ongoing fighting on civilians across the province of Deir Ezzor, said Stéphane Dujarric, the UN Secretary-General Spokesman.
Local activists on Wednesday said they had documented the deaths of 530 civilians in the governorate of Deir Ezzor during the month of October, mostly women and children. The United Nations said that more than 350,000 people have been displaced from their homes in Deir Ezzor since August.
The Syrian Coalition last week reiterated its calls on the UN Security Council and UN Special Envoy to Syria Staffan de Mistura to take the necessary measures to protect Syrian civilians; stop these crimes; and bring perpetrators to justice. It also called for the unification of efforts to combat terrorism, dry up its sources, and hold to account those who planned for the spread of terrorism and helped it thrive. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department + Agencies)