The Arab League condemned the military operations targeting civilians in in the provinces of Idlib and Hama in the past two days.
“The military operations that took place in western Syrian violate the international laws and don’t serve the goals of bringing peace or stability to the war-torn country,” the Arab League spokesman Mahmoud Afifi said in a statement on Friday.
Afifi expressed the Arab League’s concerns over the repercussions of the military strikes, which started in northwestern Syria since last month and has been escalating in the past two days, on humanitarian situation in the country.
The strikes have destroyed several civilian buildings, including schools and hospitals.
“Combating terrorist groups located in the middle of large numbers of civilians, such as in northern Hama and Idlib, should consider the high humanitarian costs due to the use of airstrikes,” the statement reiterated.
Head of the Syrian Negotiations Commission, Nasr al-Hariri, condemned the international silence about “the massacre and the holocaust” being carried out by the Assad regime and Russian forces against civilians in the provinces of Idlib and Hama. He said that the Assad regime is using the threat of terrorism as a pretext for killing innocent civilians.
Hariri slammed the international media’s ignoring of the brutal bombardment the Assad regime and Russian forces have launched in Idlib since April 26 killing hundreds of civilians and forcing about 300,000 more out of their homes. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)