The local council in Douma declared the rebel-held district a disaster area as a result of the ongoing military campaign by the Assad regime and its allies using all kinds of weapons, including internationally banned ones against civilians in the area.
In a statement released earlier on Monday, the council announced it was suspending its work until further notice, but said it will continue to provide basic services to the civilian population.
The council pointed out that its executive committee will be in permanent session. It called on the international community to stop the regime’s brutal attacks on innocent civilians, stressing that there are not any rebel or FSA positions inside the civilian neighborhoods of Douma.
The announcement came after few days of constant aerial and artillery bombardment by regime forces who also bombed the Damascus suburb with cluster munitions.
Activists said that regime attacks over the past few days have caused many casualties among civilians, including five civilians who were killed on Monday. (Source: Syrian Coalition)