In a statement released today, the Friends of Syria stated that, “Assad and his partners whose hands have been soaked in blood will not have any role in Syria.” Further to that the Syrian Coalition will be “the sole representative leading the opposition’s negotiation team at the Geneva 2 conference.” The Friends of Syria stated that the conference should lead to the establishment of a transitional government with full executive powers and authority over all government institutions, including armed forces, security forces, and intelligence forces. It is also incumbent for the conference to focus on agreeing on strategies, steps, and a fixed time frame for a democratic transition.
Hadi al-Bahra, member of the Political Committee of the Syrian Coalition, said: “The Syrian Coalition has submitted its view of and how it legally understands Geneva 1, at the meeting of the Friends of Syria in London today”. Mr. al-Bahra added: “The speech of Mr. Ahmad al-Jarba today in London sets out what the Assad regime has to do in order to prove its seriousness attending a conference in Geneva. First,”
- Releasing prisoners.
- Lifting the siege from besieged areas and allowing the entry of relief items.
- Halting all use of ballistic missiles, cluster bombs, and fighter jets on civilian areas.
- The exit of Hezbollah’s forces and Iranian Revolutionary Guard troops from Syria.
- Renewing Syrian passports outside Syria without conditions.
- A public announcement from Assad about his commitment to the implementation of the Geneva 1 provisions.
- A declaration by the regime to accept a transition of power to an interim government body with executive powers, including presidential powers, written in the constitution including the legislative and executive branches.
- All sides agree that the transitional government body is the only source of legitimate laws in Syria and any future elections should be organized by the transitional government body.
- Any agreement must be enforceable with a guarantee from the Security Council and with a decision facilitated under Chapter VII.
- There must be a specific time frame for the political transition process.
- Officials and those responsible for war crimes against humanity should be removed from power and held accountable.”
It is notable that, William Hague, the British Foreign Minister confirmed in a press conference today that Assad should not play any future political role in Syria, ensuring that the Syrian Coalition will continue to enjoy full British support. He also made clear that there is no solution in Syria without a role for the Syrian National Coalition in it.
(Source: Syrian Coalition)