The Syrian opposition will not give up the demand for the departure of Bashar al-Assad and his inner circle who committed crimes against the Syrian people, said Riyad Hijab, General Coordinator of the opposition’s High Negotiations Committee.
In comments published on Twitter on Sunday, Hijab categorically denied claims made by the Russian envoy to the seventh round of talks that the opposition negotiation delegation made concessions to the Assad regime. Hijab described these claims as unsubstantiated lies that lack credibility.
The Syrian people have very clearly expressed their position on the Assad regime and his clique, Hijab stressed. He added that the opposition’s HNC does not have the right to waive the Syrian people’s basic demands.
In an interview with al-Hayat newspaper on Sunday, Hijab warned that Assad remaining in power risks exacerbating chaos solidifying the role of terrorist organizations and causing more sectarian militias to be brought to Syria. Furthermore, Hijab emphasized that the survival of Assad would fuel sectarian tensions and hatred, especially that Assad lost legitimacy after he has been proven responsible for the use of chemical weapons against the Syrian people.
Hijab pointed out that during his meeting with President Emmanuel Macaron, Hijab said that he made it clear that the most effective way to defeat terror and resolve the conflict in Syria is to bring Assad and all those who are involved in violations against the Syrians to justice and ensure that they do not escape punishment.
With regards to the Geneva process, Hejab said that the talks have so far failed to achieve any significant progress. He pointed out that the UN mediation has reached a dead end given the refusal of the Assad regime to negotiate in good faith, its continued violation of international law, its refusal to implement UN resolutions on Syria, and its continued attempts to undermine the efforts of the UN envoy to Syria. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)