“On 9 April, the Syrian National Coalition Representative to the Benelux and the EU, Mouaffaq Nyrabia, delivered a letter on the Syria crisis to the European Parliament’s Committee on Foreign Affairs.
The letter outlines the need for decisive steps the international community – including the EU – should take to relieve the suffering of the Syrian people, lay the basis for a political transition to democratic and pluralistic future Syria, and address the threat the crisis poses to global security by:
- Deploying a comprehensive solution that defeats ISIL and the root causes of extremism and instability – the Assad regime.
- Establishing a no-fly zone to create the urgent need for humanitarian space to allow the effective delivery of aid and in parallel provide protection to ordinary Syrians from the Assad regime’s indiscriminate brutality, including the use of barrel bombs and chemical weapons.
- Referring the situation in Syria to the International Criminal Court to ensure all those responsible for war crimes and crimes against humanity are held to an account.
- Creating the necessary conditions for a viable political solution, including more targeted sanctions against the regime and its backers.
- Intensifying plans for the recovery and stabilisation of a post-Assad Syria.”