President of the Syrian Coalition Abdurrahman Mustafa received Yannick Tagand, Head of the Near East Department of France’s Ministry of Europe and Foreign Affairs and discussed with him the latest developments on the ground in Syria, especially in the south which is being subjected to a ferocious onslaught by the Assad regime and its allies. The assault has so far killed hundreds and displaced hundreds of thousands of people.
"The situation in the south is very extremely dire," President Mustafa said, adding that the current situation was expected given the “failure of the international community to protect civilians in previous regime onslaughts and its leaving them an easy prey for the criminals and their backers."
Mustafa said that the Syrian people have been left alone to face the authoritarian regimes after chanting for freedom and democracy. “We counted on our partners in democracy to help us, but the response was unfortunate."
"It became clear the size of inaction and indifference that has been shown towards the plight of the Syrian people. One cannot talk about the crimes of the murderer when this murder is left at large.” Mustafa pointed out that Washington's position on what is happening in Dara’a reflects lack of seriousness and its real attitude towards the Syrian people's aspirations for freedom dignity.
Mustafa stressed that the international community has legal responsibility to protect civilians from barbaric bombings and military attacks against residential areas and infrastructure.
Mustafa pointed out that the number of people who were displaced in Dara’a confirmed that the Assad regime was committing war crimes in that part of Syria. He warned that the ongoing onslaught would result in mass forced displacement and demographic change.
“Here lie the dangers of Law No. 10 for which we addressed more than 40 countries to warn of its possible repercussions and to inform them of the goals and intentions of the regime.”
Mustafa underscored that the military logic of the Assad regime and its allies is worthless and is not capable of changing the international resolutions calling for bringing about full political transition. "The Syrian people have not given up and are still demanding freedom and democracy. We hope you will join us in furthering these demands." (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)
The Assad regime forces summarily executed two civilians while five others were killed in explosions of landmines in eastern rural Dara’a. Head of the Syrian Negotiations Commission, Nasr al-Hariri appealed to leaders of Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Jordan to intervene to establish a cease-fire in Dara’a.
"I appeal to the leaders of the Arab and Muslim world, especially King Salman bin Abdul Aziz, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and King Abdullah II, to intervene to save the lives of the people of Dara’a through an international effort leading to a ceasefire that preserve the rights of the people, stops the bloodshed, and protects their honor,” said Hariri in comments he posted on Twitter on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a child died due to lack of treatment and the delayed response after he was stung by a scorpion near Dara’a.
The United Nations said that an estimated 330,000 people have so far been forced to flee their homes in Dara’a province as the Assad regime and its allies have further intensified aerial bombardment and ground attacks in multiple areas in the province.
The displaced people are suffering extremely dire humanitarian conditions and lack of shelter. The Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights on Tuesday urged Jordan to open its borders to the displaced people who sought refuge near its border.
Spokesman for Syrian Negotiations Commission, Yahya Aridi called upon the international community to take all possible measures to stop these brutal attacks, noting that Russia and Iran are blatantly violating the recently signed agreements in southern Syria.
The Assad regime forces, backed by Iranian militias and Russia air force, launched a large-scale offensive in eastern Dara’a province and western rural Suwaida in June 20. Dozens of civilians, including women and children, have so far been killed in the relentless aerial bombardment as well as artillery and rocket shelling on rebel-held areas in the area. The bombings have also caused massive destruction to civilian homes and infrastructure as well as the displacement of tens of thousands of civilians. (Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department)